Friday, October 9, 2009

Horror stories

Woohoo! I survived the week!

After finishing up my take home exam this morning, I thought I will kick back, relax, and read the (online) newspaper.

Okay, so Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize... Well, that was fast! But I can live with that...

Then I went through my favourite forum section for my dose of humour, and kept a lookup for any Ris Low related news...

But, the bombshell for today is from the local newspaper here, which announced that there is lead in our water!

*faint*

Well, more accurately, there is lead in the water of one of the buildings in PV. Not sure which one. But it could be us.

This past week has really been a bad week for our apartment. Temperatures have plunged below 10C, and the heating in our block chose to stop working at the same auspicious time. The result is having to wrap up from head to toe at home.

And now, they tell us that we have been drinking water containing lead. To make things worst, they found out a month ago, and felt that the levels were not high enough to warrant an announcement to the public. I am not sure how high constitutes high, but I will sure appreciate being in the know instead of being kept in the dark.

Suddenly, it feels quite dangerous to be living here. I am not sure if it is increased awareness,paranoia or if we are indeed facing a real threat. But grocery shopping here means having to look out for (and avoid) meat being injected with hormones or antibiotics, and buying milk from un-drugged cows. It doesn't help when people share horror stories with you about trace amounts of pharmaceuticals being found in drinking water, because waste water is recycled into drinking water. I wonder is this has anything to do with that little girl I saw being interviewed on Good Morning America today, who was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of ten. Scary.

No comments: